Y20 Saudi Arabian Delegation
Y20 Engagement Group, part of the wider G20, will host delegates in Saudi Arabia over the course of 2020 to discuss and develop policies for the benefit of young people around the world. These policies, or “Communiques”, will take their place alongside others from different G20 engagement groups to be presented to the G20 Heads of State for their consideration, approval, and activation.
The Y20 engagement group is one of eight official engagement groups under the umbrella of the G20: Business 20 (B20), Civil 20 (C20), Labor 20 (L20), Science 20 (S20), Think 20 (T20), Women 20 (W20) Urban 20 (U20), and Youth 20 (Y20). Each engagement group independently represents their stakeholders – youth, in our case – and is headed by a chair from the nation hosting the G20 in that year.
This year’s Y20 Summit will take place in the Kingdom from 10 to 18 October, 2020.
The following are the three focus areas of the summit
Ready to keep up with and overtake the challenges of the future.
- Future Skills
- Future of Work
Agile, dynamic leaders in a changing world.
- Decision Making Inclusion
- Leadership Development
Proactive, culturally sensitive problem solvers.
- Sustainable Development
Delegates have the important role of representing The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and as such they develop a set of policies on the topic areas mentioned above with other delegates from around the world. The final set of policies, the ‘Communique’, is then delivered to heads of state in hopes that they are adopted. By participating in this unique opportunity, you will be part of the first Y20 summit held in KSA!
Expected Activities & Important Dates
On our quest to develop an engaging and impactful Y20, we have developed unique experiences for the delegates that will allow them to interact and discuss with each other as well as prepare them to develop priority area policies for the Y20 summit Communique.
Online Training Program
- Delegates will be able to interact with each other and learn from an online program created specifically with their needs in mind. The program will focus on skills development such as policy drafting, negotiation, and critical thinking as well as a crash course on the Y20 and each of the priority areas. All Delegates are expected to commit and complete the program.
- In total, we plan to have 3 working meetings in addition to the Y20 Summit. As there will be 3 delegates per country, each delegate will attend one of the working meetings and all three will be invited to the Summit.
- Delegate Selection Deadline – February 10th
- Y20 Inception – Riyadh, February 16th
- First Working Meeting – Ecosoc Youth Forum, New York, April 1st-2nd
- Second Working Meeting – Vivatech, Paris, June 11th-12th
- Third Working Meeting – TBD
- Y20 Summit – Riyadh, October 10th-18th.
Eligibility & Qualifications
- Each country selects three delegates, ideally each would be assigned to a topic area
- One of the delegates is selected as head of delegation
- Delegates must be no younger than 20 and no older than 35
- Delegates must be university graduates or working towards a degree relevant to Y20 2020 priority areas. It is highly recommended that they have working or volunteering experience as well as previous experience & representation in global fora and summits
- Fluent in English (speaking, writing, and reading)
- Able to negotiate with other delegates
- Understands their countries’ position on the priority areas
- Aware of the role of the Y20 engagement group in the G20
- Able to attend and commit to the Y20 Summit, working meetings, and training program (online)